Formulae lesson plan
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Pupils construct, expressing symbolic form, and use simple formulae involving one or two operations
- Pupils recognise the use of algebra in solving shape and space problems
- AT2 level 5, AT3 level 4
- Pencils, pens
- Further pre-prepared questions
- Quick fire questions on simplifying.
"If I have 2x over here and another 3x over here how many x's do I have?"
"What is 3 + 4?"
"What is 5-3?"
- Give the work sheets out
- Go through the first part of the worksheet
- It may be appropriate to put some additional questions on the board to bridge the gap. Maybe rectangles and then triangles
- Once the pupils have mastered that they can move on to the exercise at the bottom
- Solving equations would be a natural progression and extension to this topic, introducing the pupils to more complicated questions
- Quick fire questions on simplifying expressions
- A pre-prepared sheet of basic expression to simplify