You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
All students will be reminded how to use paragraphs correctly. Most will be able to identify and use paragraph headings themselves. Some will be able to identify the features of a strong opening and closing paragraph.
- En3: 2a, 2b, 2c
Show continuous piece of writing, and ask students to suggest points where paragraphs should change.
- Students assign paragraph headings to the extract on the worksheet.
- Give an example of a dull opening sentence and ask students to contribute an alternative orally. Ask why it is better.
- Likewise with closing paragraph.
- Students should write their own opening and closing paragraph on the worksheet.
- Hear some and evaluate.
Ask students to write the question which the student on the worksheet has answered.
- Ask students to write a 5 paragraph plan for an article or an essay.