You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access this file. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
All students will be aware of the need to write formally in letters. Most will be able to identify inappropriate expressions. Some will be able to articulate clearly why certain expressions would not achieve the desired effect of the letter.
- En3: 1f, 1g, 9b
Use prepared flashcards with slang expressions. Students need to provide formal alternatives.
- Read through the beginning of the worksheet and discuss together what they would want to achieve with the letter and how that would affect the content.
- Students complete worksheet.
- Class feedback. Discuss why some of the sentences would not achieve the desired effect.
- Students write the entire letter.
Hear some of the letters and evaluate.
- Write and send a letter to the local MP about a current issue.
- Write a letter to a food manufacturer complaining about excess packaging (students are likely to receive vouchers in return).