- To recap spelling conventions.
- To investigate spelling rules, finding words that satisfy or disprove a statement.
En3, 4c, 4e, 4f.
- Online activities:
- Other resources:
- Magnetic letters
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access the PDF files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Ask the children to complete the Spelling worksheet (PDF 63KB) in pairs.
- Encourage the children to find several examples of each rule, using the dictionary to check the spelling hypothesis and to collect a bank of words to support any of the statements they believe to be true.
- Use this activity as an assessment opportunity, noting the rules that need revisiting in subsequent sessions.
- Listen to Melvin and Steven explain spelling.
- Develop the children's understanding of spelling rules through focused questioning, listening in shorter sections to Melvin and Steven explain spelling and discussing in relation to the Bitesize spelling pages.
- Evaluate the quality of the radio broadcast. Who is the intended audience? How do they make the broadcast appeal to that audience? Are the explanations clear and concise?
- Ask the children to develop their script-writing skills by working with a partner to write and record a radio broadcast that explains spelling rules for a specific group.
- Ask the children to develop a TV broadcast or animation using, for example, magnetic letters to display spelling rules and conventions.
Split the class into teams and play the Bitesize spelling quiz.
Ask the children to play the Bitesize prefix and suffix activity.