To understand and use a range of punctuation, including full stops, capital letters, commas, exclamation marks, question marks and speech marks.
- Online activities:
- Online games to support various aspects of punctuation:
- Other resources:
- Individual whiteboards and pens
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access the PDF files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Play the Alien Punctuation game. Ask the children to use whiteboards and pens to write each sentence in the game with the correct punctuation.
- Look together at the Newsround proofreading - punctuation page or at an alternative text that supports overall literacy.
- Ask the children to read the text and discuss any difficulties (e.g. How do they know where to pause?). After discussing the content and organisation of the article, allow time for partners to re-read and insert the correct punctuation.
Split the class into teams and complete the Bitesize punctuation quiz.
Independent group work/Homework
Complete the Punctuation worksheet (PDF 75KB) or the Bitesize punctuation activity. If the children are misunderstanding or experiencing any difficulties ask them to revisit an appropriate online resource.