Key stage 1
To tell the time to the nearest hour, half hour and 15 minutes.
Ma3, 1a, 1d, 3a, 4b.
- Online activities: Digger and the Gang game, Dynamo Den Clockwise game and the Clockworks game.
- Video clip: Learning Zone Class Clips - How to read a clock.
- Large clock on the whiteboard.
- Individual clocks.
- Blank sheet of clock faces.
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Show the children a large clock on the whiteboard.
- Explain 'to' and 'past' the hour.
- Point out where quarter past, half past and quarter to are on the clock.
- Explain that each number on the clock is worth 5 minutes. Ask the children to count in 5s as you point to the numbers on the clock.
- Ask the children to set their own clocks to whatever time you call out.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - How to read a clock to the nearest 5 minutes.
Hard - Play the Clockworks game to tell the time to the nearest half hour.
Really hard - Ask the children to complete the Telling the time worksheet 1 (110KB), filling in the missing hands on the clocks.
- Ask the children to stand facing the same direction. Explain that this is 12 o'clock.
- Ask the children to move quarter turns, half turns, three-quarter turns and full turns. Ask them which time they are facing after each turn (ie quarter past, half past, quarter to).