Key stage 1
To understand the value of each digit in 2-, 3- and 4-digit numbers.
Ma2, 1d, 1e, 1f, 1g, 2c.
- Online activities: Safari Units game and Park the Pods game.
- Video clip: Learning Zone Class Clips - Dave and the Penguins.
- Class whiteboard, individual whiteboards.
- Number cards showing 2-, 3- and 4-digit numbers.
- Place Value grid.
- Place value worksheet (PDF 129Kb).
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Show the children a place-value grid on the whiteboard.
- Explain what each section of the grid represents.
- Explain how to write 20 into the grid. Repeat with some other 2- and 3-digit numbers.
- Ask the children to fill in their own place-value grid on their whiteboards using numbers given to them.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - Dave and the Penguins about understanding hundreds, tens and units.
Medium - Give the children some 2-digit number cards. Ask them to write the numbers into a place-value grid and then record the worth of each digit in the number (eg 43 = 40 + 3).
Hard - Play the Safari Units game, balancing the animal by choosing the right unit weights. Ask the children to attempt the Place value worksheet (PDF 129KB) and then to play the Park the Pods game (10s and units).
Really hard - Give the children some 3- and 4-digit number cards. Ask them to write the numbers into a place-value grid and then to record the worth of each digit in the number (eg 548 = 500 + 40 + 8).
Repeat the activity from the introduction but this time asking the children to work in pairs and challenge their friends.