Key stage 1
- To record and organise data.
- To interpret information for a graph and chart.
Ma2, 1a, 1c, 1e, 1f, 1g, 2a, 5a, 5b.
- Online activities: Animal Island Data game.
- Video clips: Learning Zone Class Clips - Robinson Crusoe animation - tallying and Learning Zone Class Clips - Are dogs the most popular pets?
- Interactive whiteboard.
- Bird pictogram sheet 1 and Bird pictogram sheet 2.
- Organising Data worksheet (PDF 190KB).
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - Robinson Crusoe animation - tallying on the importance of organising data.
- Explain how to create a frequency table for the different eye colours in the class - draw the table on an interactive whiteboard.
- Ask each member of the class their eye colour and invite them to fill in their information on the table with a tally mark.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - Are dogs the most popular pets? on the importance of asking the correct questions when gathering information.
Medium - Create a frequency table showing the class's favourite chocolate bars. Ask each child to fill in the table using tally marks.
Extension - Complete the Organising Data worksheet (190KB), filling in the bar chart using the data provided.
Really hard - Play the Animal Island Data game by answering questions related to a bar chart.
Extension - Using the information gathered in the introduction, ask the children to set some questions for a friend.
Share the questions created in the 'really hard' group with the class and ask other members of the class to answer them.