Key stage 1
To be able to identify coins and their given value.
Ma2, 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1g, 2c, 3a, 3d, 3e.
- Online activities: Dynamo's Den Money Snap game, Igloo Shopping game, Dynamo's Den Bargains Galore game, and Digger and the Gang Cool Down game.
- Video clip: Learning Zone Class Clips - How to count money.
- Whiteboard displaying pictures of different coins.
- Individual whiteboards.
- A 'shop' displaying differently priced items.
- Money worksheet (PDF 233KB).
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Cover up pictures of different coins on a whiteboard and reveal them slowly.
- Ask the children to identify the coins, write their value on their individual whiteboards and then hold up their boards for the teacher to see.
Medium - Set up a shop with differently priced items. Give the children some coins and explain that they must pay for each item using the correct amount of coins.
Extension - Play Dynamo's Den Money Snap game.
Hard - Play the Igloo Shopping game.
Extension - Ask the children to complete the Money worksheet (PDF 233KB), cutting out coins and matching them to the value of the items displayed. Also watch Learning Zone Class Clips - How to count money, about how to make 8p from a mixture of coins.
Really hard - Set up a shop with differently priced items. Give the children some coins and ask them to work out how many items they can buy before running out of money. Record the calculations as number sentences.
Extension - Play Dynamo's Den Bargains Galore game (level 3).
Play the Digger and the Gang Cool Down game as a class, adding up coins and choosing correct coin combinations.