Key stage 1
To work out divisions by sharing equally.
Ma2, 1a, 1c, 1e, 1f, 2a, 2b,3b, 3e
- Online activities: Division Mine game and Number Jumbler game.
- Video clip: Learning Zone Class Clips - Turtles and Division.
- Division questions with missing answers placed around the room.
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Explain that when something is divided up it needs to be put into equal piles.
- Choose three volunteers. Give the first child five sweets, the second child six sweets and the third child four sweets. Ask the class if this is fair.
- Repeat the process but this time hand out one sweet at a time to each child so that all the sweets are shared equally. Show this as a division: 15 ÷ 3 = 5.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - Turtles and Division, which shows simple division equations.
Medium - Place some division questions around the room. Ask the children to find a division and work out the sum by sharing out objects into equal piles.
Hard - Play the Division Mine game.
Play the Starship Number Jumbler game (Missing symbols x ÷) as a class.