Key stage 1
To use the correct number or missing symbol.
Ma2, 1c, 1e, 1f, 3a, 3e, 4a.
- Online activities: Little Owls game, Number Pyramid game, Number Jumbler game, Cross the Swamp game and Test the Toad game.
- Video clip: Learning Zone Class Clips - Maths Quiz Subtraction.
- Class whiteboard, individual whiteboards.
- Set of number sentences with missing numbers or symbols (2-digit numbers for medium level and 3-digit numbers for really hard level).
- Addition and Subtraction worksheet (PDF 81KB).
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Write a sum with missing numbers or symbols on the whiteboard (eg 2_2 = 4 or 3_1 = 2).
- Ask the children to use parts of their bodies to show the missing symbol or number.
- Ask the children to guess what shape you are holding.
- Arrange the children in groups of five to create their own simple number sentences using their bodies.
Medium - Pick a number sentence with a missing number or symbol from a tub. Ask the children to create the missing number or symbol using playdough.
Extension - Play the Little Owls game.
Really hard - Ask the children to complete the Addition and Subtraction worksheet (PDF 81KB).
Extension - Play the Cross the Swamp game (Addition and Subtraction. Or pick a number sentence with a missing number or symbol from a tub. Ask the children to record their completed number sentence on whiteboards and take photos as evidence
Play the Test the Toad game as a class. Or play the Learning Zone Class Clips - Maths Quiz Subtraction.