Key stage 1
To recognise the names and properties of 2D and 3D shapes.
Ma3, 1d, 2a, 2b, 2d.
- Online activities: Shape Lab game and Captain Calamity game.
- Video clips: Learning Zone Class Clips - 2D shape song and Learning Zone Class Clips - 3D shape song.
- 2D and 3D shapes.
- Shape property cards.
- 2D and 3D Shapes worksheet (PDF 96KB).
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Hide some 2D and 3D shapes in a bag.
- Dip your hand into the bag and choose a shape; without pulling it out, describe the shape to the class according to its properties.
- Ask the children to guess what shape you are holding.
- Repeat this exercise but invite the children to choose a shape and describe its properties.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - 2D shape song and Learning Zone Class Clips - 3D shape song, to sing and learn the songs.
Medium - Give the children a range of 2D and 3D shapes and some cards showing shape properties. Ask them to match the properties to the correct shape.
Hard - Play the Shape Lab game, finding shapes with lines of symmetry.
Really hard - Ask the children to complete the 2D and 3D Shapes worksheet (PDF 96KB), drawing shapes based on the properties listed. Then ask them to create some property clues for a friend to try and guess the shape.
Play the Starship Captain Calamity game as a class, selecting the correct shape from the given clues.