Key stage 1
To spell a range of words correctly.
En3, 4a, 4b, 4c, 4d, 4e, 4f, 4h, 4i.
- Online activities: Pirate Spelling game, Whirlyword Machine game, Sandcastle quiz game and Drag and Spell game.
- Video clip: Learning Zone Class Clips - A cartoon cat introduces 'ai' words.
- Set of spelling words (verse, joy, stir, nurse, curve, boy, bound, nut, hut, towel, curve).
- Spelling worksheet (PDF 100KB).
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Watch Learning Zone Class Clips - A cartoon cat introduces 'ai' words, which shows how to spell a series of 'ai' words.
- Pause the clip before each word is shown and ask the children to have a go at spelling each word.
- Discuss a range of spelling strategies with the children, including - sounding out the word; listening to the initial and end sounds; using words they already know to help with new words; and learning the new words by using the look/cover/write/check strategy.
- Arrange the children in pairs. Ask them to spell their own name and then to try to spell their partner's name.
Hard - Arrange the children in small groups. Give each group a pot containing the spelling words. Ask them to take turns to pick a word from the pot. They must not look at the word but give it to another member of the team who reads out the word; the player then spells it.
Extension - Give the children a ten-second limit for each word so that the activity resembles a game show.
Really hard - Play the Words and Pictures Whirlyword
Machine game, spinning the reel and making words that fit a specific
Extension - Play the Words and Pictures Sandcastle quiz game, selecting the grapheme that fits into the middle of the word.
Play the Words and Pictures Drag and Spell game as a class, dragging a vowel sound into the spot to spell a word correctly.