Summer - Spot some ladybirds
The Ladybird Surveys are real science, ideal for school classes and nature clubs.
Here are resources to help you plan a ladybird hunt and identify and record species.
Teacher's notes and activity packs
Welsh Teacher's notes and activity packs
About the teacher resources
The resources on this page are linked to curriculum stages in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Your pupils can learn
- How to perform simple, valuable wildlife surveys
- About biological recording
- How to catch and identify ladybirds
- How to take pictures of ladybirds and other minibeasts
- About Britain's native and non-native ladybird species
- How to set up a pupa hatching experiment and record the result
- About ladybird parasites
- How their findings compare with data around the country
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these PDF files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.