Summer - Create a Minibeast Corner
Summer Term's Do One Thing: Minibeast corner
This termís Do One Thing provides a place where minibeasts can thrive - a minibeast corner. It doesnít have to be very big, but it will have a huge impact. We really need minibeasts as they perform a wide variety of beneficial services from plant pollination to water purification.
The Teacherís Notes provide helpful information to enable you to create four distinct habitats which will provide shelter and food for minibeasts. You'll find lots of interesting facts about minibeasts, along with ideas for related activities in a range of curriculum areas.
When you and your pupils have created your minibeast corner you'll find the downloadable classification key and ID guide invaluable in finding out what has been attracted.
The curriculum guide provides information applicable to all areas of the country.
Teacher's notes and activity packs
Welsh Teacher's notes and activity packs
You will need Adobe Acrobat reader to access these PDF files. BBC Webwise has a complete guide to downloading and installing Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Lady Bird - There are 46 different types of ladybird in the UK, usually seen between March and October.
- Spider - Many spiders feed on small insects and are commonly found on bushes and other vegetation in woodland, gardens and parks.
- Centipede - They're nocturnal and love the dark, so you can find centipedes by lifting up stones or logs, or by digging in the ground.
- Butterfly - They have an interesting life cycle (from caterpillars to beautiful butterflies) and changes to numbers, and times of the year they can be seen, are a very good early warning sign of changes to the environment.
- Ant - There are over 50 species of ant in the UK. Some species are vegetarian, some are carnivorous and some are both.
What can children do?
Children will be able to:
- help prepare the ground or containers to form the basis of minibeast corner
- prepare a log-pile and a stone pile for minibeasts to live in
- make a bee home / ladybird roost from recycled materials
- make an earwig home and learn about earwig family life
- find and identify different minibeasts
- learn more about the minibeasts that they find
- learn more about the wider world of minibeasts