Lesson Plan 3: Pressure under water
Pressure under water (Page 15 of the Teacher's Pack)
Download the lesson plan
Suitable for: 11-14 years
Curriculum and learning links:
- Pressure, particles in liquids and gases
- Describe the arrangement of particles in a liquid and a gas and explain the changes caused by pressure
- Explain why there is greater water pressure at greater depths
- Describe the effect that pressure has on animals and how some are adapted to different environments
- Describe how water pressure can be useful
Clip 7: Free diving - Dallas takes part in a free-diving challenge in a 30m deep water chamber.
Clip 8: Straw submarine - Dr Yan shows how to make a straw submarine in a plastic bottle to demonstrate buoyancy.
Clip 9: Under pressure - Dr Yan investigates how water pressure limits the length of a snorkel and demonstrates this using two plastic bottles. He explains that elephants regularly snorkel and have specific adaptations to do so.
Clip 10: Sub rescue - Liz takes part in a submarine rescue.