Is our time on earth coming to a close?
Could this be the end of us?
From Nostradamus to 2012, and no, not the Olympic Games but rather, 2012 Doomsday, the end of the world theories keep coming. So many people believe in these theories, so could they be true?
There are many end of the world theories - some are religious and involve a 'Judgement Day' and others are more scientific - such as aliens arriving from outer space.
Does this mean that the famous actors and producers who made films such as Armageddon and and War of the Worlds were giving us a visual scenario of what could happen? Let's see the predictions put before us from two major players; the Mayans and Nostradamus.
The Mayans who lived from about 1,800BC had an incredible ability to calculate time, and they have predicted according to their calendar, the end of earth. But there's also the Nostradamus prediction.
Nostradamus born in 1503, was famous for many world renowned theories that people all over the world study to get a better understanding of our future. He has predicted many world events including the Great Fire of London to the attacks on the World Trade Centre. And as we now know, he has predicted , the end of the world too.
There are also other theories that involve scientific explanations. These include a solar wipe out, a world wide volcanic eruption, others say the earth will be hit by a comet.
If all of these theories are correct and there is nothing we can do to avoid it and nothing we can do to prepare for it, then shall we agree that this is the end of the world as we know it?
There are many questions raised about our future and many individuals insist that the end of the world will happen very soon, could they be wrong? And has there not been a prediction of this kind before?
"The end of the world" Year 2000
In the year 2000, also known as Y2K or the millennium bug, the world was supposed to end according to some believers but thankfully, we have lived through it, since they were wrong then why should we believe it this time?
The many theories
Whether it is scientific or religious, the end of the world theories are plenty, plenty to make one think we will be terminated and erased as one race in one go. A bit like the Big Bang, which is a theory as to how the world began. Here are some prediction that lurk around us:
- The Mayan predicted the Earth will end 21 December 2012 according to their calendar
- Nostradamus also predicted the end of the world will be in 2012.
- Interpretations of the Bible reveal that Armageddon is due to happen in 2012.
- A Super Volcano at the Yellowstone National Park in the United States erupts every 650,000 years, scientists believe that it will cause an eruption that will fill the atmosphere with ash, blocking the sun and make the Earth freeze for up to 15,000 years.
These are just some of the theories, which one do you believe in?
- "could all the natural disasters and problems in the world be a sign of some sort?"...jazzydramaqueen
- And why must God be intelligent? Maybe, as Bobby Henderson reckons with the Flying Spaghetti Monster, God was actually stupid and didn't think things through... kerrythekiwi
- Well, since natural disasters, diseases, etc have been going on for as long as the world has existed, I think it's unlikely that they are a sign of the end... U11930092
- The Human Race is a great one. But things that are great will affect things in a great way. It's inevitable... U1372477
- ...What other race mass-murders on such a grand scale (but granted, it IS to eat, though we are probably the only race that deigns to waste food), starts wars that wipe out thousands, steals so much territory from other animals ... kerrythekiwi
- ...The designer is inept, and doesn't know how to clear up His messes, The designer is malevolent/evil, and creates natural disasters for His own amusement. .... Derridia