WPC Ruth's monologue: 'Rape'
- This provides accurate information about the legal definition of rape to inform discussion and ensure that students are clear about the facts.
- After viewing these monologues students may wish to find out more about facilities for victims of sexual assault in their local area for example, the "Haven" centre as featured in the drama is typical of facilities offered by the police to victims of rape and sexual assault, although Havens as such are only available in London. Facilities in the rest of the UK will vary although there is usually a female police officer to talk to within a supportive environment. Sexual Assault Referral Centres have been set up throughout England and Wales. These are a one-stop facility in which victims of sexual assault can receive medical care and counselling while assisting the police in investigating alleged offences. Some police stations have "rape suites", which are specially set up to support rape victims.
- Ensure there is confidential access to information about local sources of help and support:
- - Rape Crisis Centres - England & Wales
- - Rape Crisis Centres - Scotland
- - Rape Crisis Centres - Northern Ireland
- - Survivors UK
- - This is abuse
- - Women's Aid