Faith's monologue 'YO Grandma!'
- This monologue is intended to stimulate discussion about families, responsibilities and relationships. It portrays Faith as a defiant but unrealistic young woman who sees the world from her own point of view.
- After showing the monologue students could return to the discussion about the characters this time focusing on Faith exploring selected questions such as:
- - Why did Faith's grandmother throw her out?
- - Was she right to do this?
- - What does Fatboy think of Faith?
- - What are her options now?
- - Where could she go for help?
- Students could work in small groups to produce some advice for Faith or do this for homework and/or they could research options for teens wanting to move out of the family home.
- This character monologue deals with young people leaving home and how they cope in the real world. Read more about this sensitive subject in this useful Leaving Home - Fact sheet (PDF) which includes information about where young people can go for help and advice.