Bitesize has changed! We're updating subjects as fast as we can. Visit our new site to find Bitesize guides and clips - and tell us what you think!

Welsh Second Language

Pop Music

Example answers with expert's comments

Listen to what Elin and Morgan said in this role-play, compare their answers and find out why an examiner would give Morgan a higher mark.

1. Wyt ti'n hoffi cerddoriaeth? - Do you like music?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Ydw, dw i’n hoffi gwrando ar fiwsig pop. Dw i’n mwynhau dawnsio i fiwsig pop. Dw i wrth fy modd efo miwsig pop achos mae’n hwyl.

• Yes, I like listening to pop music. I enjoy dancing to pop music. I love pop music because it's fun.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Ydw, wrth gwrs. Ar hyn o bryd, dw i’n hoffi gwrando ar fiwsig roc trwm yn fy amser hamdden achos mae’n uchel ac yn wych. Dw i’n chwarae’r drymiau gyda ffrindiau mewn grŵp roc hefyd. Dw i wrth fy modd yn gwrando ar fiwsig ar fy MP3 bob nos achos dw i’n meddwl bod y caneuon yn wych.

• Yes, of course. At the moment, I like listening to heavy rock music in my free time because it's loud and great. I play the drums with friends in a rock group too. I love listening to music on my MP3 every night because I think that the songs are great.
  • Elin answers using simple sentence patterns, choosing to start all her sentences with dw i’n. Elin only gives one reason to support her opinion. Morgan uses different sentence patterns as well as different tenses in his answer and gives several reasons to support his opinions. He tells us what kind of music he likes, why, when and with who he listens to music. He also offers additional information about playing the drums in a rock group. Morgan has also used idiomatic phrases to raise the grade of his answer, eg ar hyn o bryd and dw i wrth fy modd.

2. Wyt ti’n hoffi cerddoriaeth Gymraeg? - Do you like Welsh music?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n hoffi gwrando ar gerddoriaeth Gymraeg weithiau, ond mae’n well gen i gerddoriaeth Saesneg achos mae’n dda iawn.

• I like listening to Welsh music sometimes, but I prefer English music because it's very good.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i’n mwynhau gwrando ar bob math o gerddoriaeth, gan gynnwys cerddoriaeth Gymraeg. Ond fy hoff gerddoriaeth ydy cerddoriaeth roc trwm achos mae’n fywiog ac yn uchel.

• I enjoy listening to all kinds of music, including Welsh music. But my favourite music is heavy rock music because it's lively and loud.
  • Elin replies using two sentences linked with ond (but). She gives one reason to support her opinion. Morgan replies using more than one sentence pattern. Morgan supports his opinion with more complex reasons to raise the grade of his work.

3. Pwy ydy dy hoff ganwr neu dy hoff grŵp? - Who is your favourite singer or favourite group?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Fy hoff grŵp ydy’r grŵp ysgol Iâ-hŵ. Dw i’n hoffi’r grŵp achos maen nhw’n canu’n wych.

• My favourite group is the school group Iâ-hŵ. I like the group because they sing brilliantly.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Does dim hoff grŵp gyda fi achos dw i’n mwynhau gwrando ar bob math o fandiau gwahanol. Ond, dw i’n hoffi miwsig y grŵp roc trwm newydd o’r enw Sŵn Drwg achos dw i’n aelod o’r grŵp. Fi sy’n chwarae’r drymiau i’r grŵp.

• I don't have a favourite group because I like listening to all kinds of different bands. But, I like the music of the new rock group called Sŵn Drwg because I'm a member of the group. I'm the one who plays the drums for the group.
  • Elin answers using two simple sentence patterns. However, Morgan gives a more detailed answer. He supports his opinion with complex reasons and discusses his taste in music, giving detailed reasons for his choices.

4. Pwy ydy dy hoff DJ? - Who is your favourite DJ?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n hoffi gwrando ar Radio Cymru achos mae’r DJs i gyd yn dda iawn. Dw i’n gwrando ar Radio Cymru bob bore efo mam yn y car ar y ffordd i’r ysgol.

• I like listening to Radio Cymru because all the DJs are very good. I listen to Radio Cymru every morning with mum in the car on the way to school.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i’n gwrando ar DJ da iawn ar Radio Un. Dw i’n gwrando ar Radio Un bob bore cyn mynd i’r ysgol. Dw i’n meddwl bod y rhaglen yn y bore yn ddoniol iawn a mae’r DJ yn chwarae miwsig da iawn.

• I listen to a very good DJ on Radio One. I listen to Radio One every morning before going to school. I think that the programme in the morning is very funny and the DJ plays very good music.
  • Elin has given a more detailed response to this question telling us which DJ she likes and why. She also says when and with who she listens to the radio. However, Morgan has supported all his opinions with more complex reasons.

5. Ble wyt ti’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth? - Where do you listen to music?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth bob dydd ar ôl ysgol yn fy ystafell wely efo fy ffrindiau. Dw i’n hoffi gwrando ar y radio yn y car ar y ffordd i’r ysgol.

• I listen to music every day after school in my bedroom with my friends. I like listening to the radio in the car on the way to school.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Fel arfer, dw i’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth bob nos yn fy ystafell wely ar fy chwaraewr MP3. Dw i’n mwynhau gwylio rhaglenni cerddoriaeth ar y teledu lloeren yn y lolfa hefyd. Weithiau, rydyn ni’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth yn y wers arlunio yn yr ysgol achos mae e’n helpu ni i ganolbwyntio.

• Usually, I listen to music every night in my bedroom on my MP3 player. I enjoy watching music programmes on satellite television in the lounge too. Sometimes, we listen to music in the art class in school because it helps us to concentrate.
  • Elin has given a more detailed response to this question telling us what she does, when, with who, and why. However, her sentence patterns all still start with dw i’n. Morgan has used several different sentence patterns and different tenses in his response to this question. He has included phrases such as fel arfer (usually), and weithiau (sometimes), to add interest to his answer.

6. Pryd wyt ti’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth? - When do you listen to music?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth bob nos ar fy chwaraewr MP3 achos dydy fy rhieni ddim yn hoffi clywed fy ngherddoriaeth yn uchel. Dw i’n gwrando ar Radio Cymru yn y car efo mam bob bore ar y ffordd i’r ysgol.

• I listen to music every night on my MP3 player because my parents don't like to hear my music playing loudly. I listen to Radio Cymru in the car with mum every morning on the way to school.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Fel arfer, dw i’n gwrando ar Radio Un bob bore cyn mynd i’r ysgol achos mae’r rhaglen yn y bore yn ddoniol iawn. Hefyd, dw i’n gwrando ar fiwsig roc trwm bob nos ar fy chwaraewr MP3. Bob hyn a hyn rydyn ni’n gwrando ar gerddoriaeth mewn gwersi celf yn yr ysgol achos mae’n ymlaciol.

• Usually, I listen to Radio One every morning before going to school because the programme in the morning is very funny. Also, I listen to heavy rock music every night on my MP3 player. Every now and then we listen to music in the art lessons in school because it's relaxing.
  • Elin has given a much more detailed response showing that she is able to use different sentence patterns, and can support her opinion with a more complex reason. Morgan has once again provided us with a very detailed response to this question. He has used several different sentence patterns and supports his opinions with a variety of reasons.

Back to Context A index