Welsh Second Language

Welsh Culture

This Revision Bite will help you have a conversation about Welsh culture.

Warm-up exercise

Conversation simulation: Welsh Culture

Example answers with expert's comments

Listen to what Elin and Morgan said in this role-play, compare their answers and find out why an examiner would give Morgan a higher mark.

1. O ble wyt ti’n dod? - Where do you come from?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n dod o Abergele yn y gogledd. Mae’n iawn ond weithiau mae’n rhy dawel. Dw i’n hoffi Aberystwyth. Mae’n wych.

• I come from Abergele in the north. It's OK but sometimes it's too quiet. I like Aberystwyth. It's great.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Ar hyn o bryd, dw i’n byw ym Mhontypridd yn ne Cymru. Roeddwn i’n arfer byw yn Llundain yn Lloegr. Sais ydw i achos ces i fy ngeni yn Lloegr. Dw i wrth fy modd ym Mhontypridd achos mae llawer o bethau yno fel canolfan hamdden, pwll nofio a sinema aml-sgrîn.

• At the moment, I live in Pontypridd in south Wales. I used to live in London in England. I'm English because I was born in England. I love Pontypridd because there are lots of things there like a leisure centre, a swimming pool and a multiscreen cinema.
  • Elin answers using simple sentence patterns, choosing to start all her sentences with dw i’n. Morgan uses different sentence patterns as well as different tenses in his answer. He gives complex reasons to support his statements. He tells us why he is English and he also offers additional information about where he lives now. Morgan has also used idiomatic phrases to raise the grade of his answer, eg ar hyn o bryd and dw i wrth fy modd

2. Wyt ti’n gallu siarad Cymraeg? - Can you speak Welsh?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n dysgu Cymraeg yn yr ysgol a dw i’n gallu siarad Cymraeg tipyn bach achos mae’n anodd.

• I'm learning Welsh in school and I can speak Welsh a little bit because it's hard.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i’n hoffi dysgu Cymraeg achos mae fy athrawes Gymraeg yn wych a mae’r gwersi Cymraeg yn hwyl. Dw i’n dysgu Cymraeg yn yr ysgol ers blynyddoedd. Dw i’n gallu siarad Cymraeg tipyn bach ond dw i eisiau siarad Cymraeg yn rhugl.

• I like learning Welsh because my Welsh teacher is great and the Welsh lessons are fun. I've been learning Welsh in school for years. I can speak Welsh a little bit but I want to speak Welsh fluently.
  • Elin replies in one sentence only. She gives one reason to support her opinion. Morgan replies using more than one sentence pattern and supports his opinion with more complex reasons to raise the grade of his work.

3. Wyt ti’n hoffi canu, llefaru neu ddawnsio? - Do you like singing, reciting or dancing?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n casáu canu a llefaru, ond dw i’n hoffi dawnsio disgo achos mae’n hwyl.

• I hate singing and reciting, but I like disco dancing because it's fun.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i wrth fy modd yn canu a dw i’n aelod o gôr yr ysgol. Rydyn ni’n ymarfer bob dydd Mawrth ar ôl ysgol. Mae’r côr ysgol yn dda iawn a rydyn ni wedi ennill llawer o gystadleuthau yn Eisteddfod yr Urdd.

• I love singing and I'm a member of the school choir. We rehearse every Tuesday after school. The school choir is very good and we have won a lot of competitions in the Urdd Eisteddfod.
  • Elin answers using two sentences linked by just the word ond but supports her opinion with a reason. Morgan gives a more detailed answer. He supports his opinion with a complex reason to explain why the school choir is very good. He also uses rydyn ni, the first person plural of the present tense, in his answer showing that he can change his work to use more than just the first person form dw i.

4. Wyt ti wedi bod i’r Eisteddfod erioed? - Have you ever been to the Eisteddfod?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n ceisio mynd i’r Eisteddfod bob blwyddyn. Dw i’n hoffi cystadlu yn y gystadleuaeth dawnsio disgo efo ffrindiau. Hefyd, dw i’n gwylio’r Eisteddfod ar y teledu weithiau.

• I try to go to the Eisteddfod every year. I like competing in the disco dancing competition with friends. Also, I watch the Eisteddfod on television sometimes.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i’n mynd i’r Eisteddfod bob blwyddyn. Fel arfer, dw i’n cystadlu gyda’r côr ysgol bob blwyddyn a rydyn ni wedi ennill sawl cystadleuaeth dros y blynyddoedd. Dw i’n meddwl bod cefnogi’r Urdd yn bwysig achos mae’n fy helpu i siarad Cymraeg yn well. Hoffwn i fynd i’r Eisteddfod eto y flwyddyn nesa.

• I go to the Eisteddfod every year. Usually, I compete with the school choir every year and we have won several competitions over the years. I think that it's important to support the Urdd because it helps me to speak Welsh better. I'd like to go to the Eisteddfod again next year.
  • Elin has given a more detailed response to this question telling us that she does try to visit the Eisteddfod, when and with whom. She has used the connecting word hefyd to link the last two sentences improving the flow of her answer. However, her sentence patterns still all start with dw i’n. Morgan has used several different sentence patterns and different tenses in his response to this question. He has supported his opinion with a complex reason, and has included phrases such as fel arfer and dros y blynyddoedd, to add interest to his answer.

5. Enwa dy hoff le yng Nghymru - Name your favourite place in Wales

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n hoffi mynd i Sir Benfro. Dw i’n mynd i Sir Benfro ar wyliau gyda’r teulu yn yr haf achos mae llawer o bethau yno, fel traeth, pwll nofio, parc antur a siopau bach da.

• I like going to Pembrokeshire. I go to Pembrokeshire on holiday with the family in the summer because there are lots of things there, like a beach, a swimming pool, an adventure park and good little shops.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Fy hoff le yng Nghymru ydy Caernarfon. Dw i’n mynd i Gaernarfon yng ngogledd Cymru yn aml achos mae llawer o bethau i wneud yno. Yng Nghaernarfon, gallwch chi ymweld â’r castell, yr amgueddfa Rufeinig a’r traeth. Fel arfer, dw i’n mynd i ganŵio a hwylio ar Y Fenai gyda fy ffrindiau.

• My favourite place in Wales is Caernarfon. I go to Caernarfon in north Wales often because there are lots of things to do there. In Caernarfon, you can visit the castle, the Roman museum and the beach. Usually, I go canoeing and sailing on the Menai Straits with my friends.
  • Elin has given a more detailed response to this question telling us what she does, when, with whom, and why. However, her sentence patterns all still start with dw i’n. Morgan has used several different sentence patterns and different tenses in his response to this question. He has included phrases such as yn aml and fel arfer to add interest to his answer.

6. Ble hoffet ti fynd yng Nghymru? - Where would you like to go in Wales?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Hoffwn i fynd i Langollen yng ngogledd Cymru achos gallwch chi ymweld â’r Eisteddfod Ryngwladol.

• I'd like to go to Llangollen in north Wales because you can visit the International Eisteddfod.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Es i i Gaerdydd i Ganolfan y Mileniwm i gystadlu yn Eisteddfod yr Urdd. Hoffwn i ymweld â Chaerdydd eto achos mae’n llawer o hwyl. Y tro nesa, hoffwn i fynd i wylio gêm rygbi yn Stadiwm y Mileniwm achos dw i wrth fy modd yn chwarae ac yn gwylio rygbi.

• I went to Cardiff to the Millennium Centre to compete in the Urdd Eisteddfod. I'd like to visit Cardiff again because it's a lot of fun. Next time, I'd like to go and watch a rugby game in the Millennium Stadium because I love playing and watching rugby.
  • Elin has shown that she is able to use the conditional tense, hoffwn and has supported her opinion with a complex reason. However, she has answered in a single sentence only. Morgan has once again provided us with a very detailed response to this question. He has used several different sentence patterns and has also used the conditional tense. Morgan supports his opinions with a complex reason, and has included phrases and words such as eto, and y tro nesa, to add interest to his answer.

Success Criteria

Below is a table showing Elin and Morgan's success criteria.

Language patternsMorganElin
Use full sentencesYesYes
Different sentence patternsYesYes
Different tensesYesYes
Good vocabularyYesYes
Different reasons to support opinionsYes-
Idiomatic phrasesYes-
Different connecting/linking wordsYes-

Conversation simulation: dialogue

File

Full script (PDF file 136kb)

Can't open this file? Visit BBC Webwise for help with Adobe Reader.

Conversation simulation: answering questions

Conversation simulation: asking questions

Translation and hints

QuestionsHints
  • 1. Ble gest ti dy eni a dy fagu?
  • Where were you born and brought up?
Try to give more than just the name of where you were born and brought up. Add details such as where your family came from and if they have moved in the past. You could also say if you like where you live now and why.
  • 2. Ers pryd wyt ti’n dysgu Cymraeg?
  • Since when have you been learning Welsh?
Add details about when you started to learn Welsh. You could also say if you find it easy or difficult and say how confident a speaker you are. Remember that blynedd (feminine noun) is the word you need to use for the word year when following a number.
  • 3. Oes llawer o bobl yn siarad Cymraeg yn dy ardal di?
  • Are there lots of people who speak Welsh in your area?
Don’t just answer by saying yes or no, but give as many details as possible about where and when people speak Welsh in your area. Do you have a local Welsh newspaper, local Welsh activities or events, or Welsh schools nearby?
  • 4. Wyt ti wedi bod i’r Eisteddfod erioed?
  • Have you ever been to the Eisteddfod?
This is a good opportunity to use some idiomatic phrases such as fel arfer, serch hynny and yn fy marn i. You could also use this opportunity to use the future conditional tense hoffwn i to say that you would like to go to the Eisteddfod in the future.
  • 5. Wyt ti’n gwylio rhaglenni teledu Cymraeg weithiau?
  • Do you watch Welsh television programmes sometimes?
This is a good opportunity to use some idiomatic phrases such as fel arfer, serch hynny and yn fy marn i. You must use reasons to support your opinions in this answer. You could also use this opportunity to use the future conditional tense hoffwn i to say which programmes you would like to see in the future.
  • 6. Wyt ti wedi bod i Gaerdydd, prifddinas Cymru erioed?
  • Have you ever been to Cardiff, the capital of Wales?
This is an opportunity for you to use the past tense and/or the future tense. Try to mention what you did the last time that you visited Cardiff, and also what you will be doing - bydda i’n - or what you would like to do - hoffwn i - if you go there in the future, and why.

Back to Revision Bite