Welsh Second Language

The Cinema/Film

This Revision Bite will help you have a conversation about the cinema and film.

Warm-up exercise

Conversation simulation: The Cinema/Film

Example answers with expert's comments

Listen to what Elin and Morgan said in this role-play, compare their answers and find out why an examiner would give Morgan a higher mark.

1. Wyt ti’n hoffi gwylio ffilmiau yn y sinema? - Do you like watching films in the cinema?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n hoffi mynd i’r sinema achos dw i’n hoffi gwylio ffilmiau. Dw i’n mwynhau mynd i’r sinema ar nos Wener efo fy ffrind gorau.

• I like going to the cinema because I like watching films. I enjoy going to the cinema on Friday nights with my best friend.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i wrth fy modd yn mynd i’r sinema i wylio ffilmiau. Dw i’n byw ym Mhontypridd a mae sinema yma. Dw i’n dwli ar ffilmiau antur ond dydw i ddim yn hoffi ffilmiau cariad. Sôn am sbwriel! Yn fy marn i, mae ffilmiau antur yn gyffrous ond mae ffilmiau cariad yn ddiflas iawn. Nos Sadwrn diwethaf, es i i’r sinema gyda fy ffrindiau. Roedd y ffilm yn ardderchog. Prynais i siocled, popcorn a diod. Yn anffodus, mae mynd i’r sinema yn ddrud.

• I love going to the cinema to watch films. I live in Pontypridd and there is a cinema here. I love adventure films but I don't like romantic films. Talk about rubbish! In my opinion, adventure films are exciting but romantic films are very boring. Last Saturday, I went to the cinema with my friends. The film was excellent. I bought chocolate, popcorn and a drink. Unfortunately, going to the cinema is expensive.
  • Elin chooses to answer using easy words and simple sentences. Morgan answers the question in much more detail. He also uses the opportunity to give opinions with more complex reasons and he uses the past tense to describe going to the cinema. He also uses idiomatic phrases.

2. Ble wyt ti’n mynd i’r sinema? - Where do you go to the cinema?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n hoffi mynd i’r sinema aml-sgrîn yn y parc siopa yn Llandudno. Dydw i ddim yn hoffi mynd i’r sinema bach yn y dref achos does dim dewis da.

• I like going to the multiscreen cinema in the shopping mall in Llandudno. I don't like going to the small cinema in town because there isn't a good choice.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i wrth fy modd yn mynd i’r sinema yn y ddinas achos mae dewis da o ffilmiau a mae’r ffilmiau’n newydd. Dw i’n gallu gwylio pob math o ffilmiau fel ffilmiau antur, ffilmiau comedi a ffilmiau rhyfel. Dydw i ddim yn hoffi mynd i’r sinema bach lleol achos mae’r ffilmiau’n hen. Sôn am ddiflas! Wythnos nesa, hoffwn i fynd i’r sinema aml-sgrîn yng Nghaerdydd i weld ffilm newydd.

• I love going to the cinema in the city because there's a good choice of fims and the films are new. I can watch all kinds of films like action films, comedy films and war films. I don't like going to the small, local cinema because the films are old. Talk about boring! Next week, I'd like to go to the multiscreen cinema in Cardiff to see a new film.
  • Elin has used simple sentences to answer the question, saying which cinemas she likes or doesn’t like to go to. On the other hand, Morgan has given a lot more information. He has used more complex structures and he has given full reasons for his opinions. He uses more than one tense and he uses idiomatic phrases.

3. Faint wyt ti’n gwario yn y sinema? - How much do you spend in the cinema?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n gwario llawer o arian bob tro dw i’n mynd i’r sinema achos dw i’n prynu llawer o fwyd a diod.

• I spend a lot of money every time I go to the cinema because I buy a lot of food and drink.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Dw i’n gwario llawer o arian pan dw i’n mynd i’r sinema. Dw i’n prynu llawer o fwyd cyn mynd i wylio’r ffilm – popcorn, siocled a diod. Sôn am flasus! Yn anffodus, mae bwyd a diod yn y sinema yn ddrud iawn. Dw i’n gallu gwario dros ddeg punt mewn un noson. Hoffwn i weld prisiau mwy rhesymol yn y sinema. Wythnos diwethaf, aeth fy ffrind i’r sinema a gwariodd e un deg pump punt am ffilm a bwyd.

• I spend a lot of money when I go to the cinema. I buy a lot of food before going to watch the film - popcorn, chocolate and a drink. Talk about delicious! Unfortunately, food and drink in the cinema is very expensive. I can spend over £10 in a night. I'd like to see more reasonable prices in the cinema. Last week, my friend went to the cinema and he spent £15 for a film and food.
  • Elin chooses to answer using one sentence pattern. Morgan answers the question in much more detail. He talks about other people and therefore uses the third person. He also uses a variety of tenses, including the past, present and conditional tense.

4. Gyda pwy wyt ti'n mynd i'r sinema? (SW)/Efo pwy wyt ti’n mynd i’r sinema? (NW) - Who do you go to the cinema with?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Dw i’n mynd i’r sinema efo fy ffrind Sioned achos mae hi’n hoffi ffilmiau cariad fel fi. Dydw i ddim yn mynd i weld ffilm efo fy mrawd achos mae o’n hoffi ffilmiau antur.

• I go to the cinema with my friend Sioned because she likes romantic films like me. I don't go and watch a film with my brother because he likes action movies.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Fel arfer, dw i’n mynd i’r sinema gyda fy ffrindiau ar nos Sadwrn. Dw i wrth fy modd yn mynd gyda fy ffrindiau achos rydyn ni’n cael llawer o hwyl. Mae fy ffrind Jac yn hoffi gwylio ffilmiau antur a mae fy ffrind Gareth yn hoffi gwylio ffilmiau comedi. Dydw i ddim yn hoffi mynd i’r sinema gyda mam achos mae hi’n hoffi ffilmiau cariad. Sôn am ddiflas! Weithiau dw i’n mwynhau mynd i’r sinema gyda fy llys-dad achos mae e’n hoffi ffilmiau ffug-wyddonol fel fi. Aethon ni i’r sinema nos Fercher a gwylion ni ffilm newydd. Roedd yn gyffrous iawn.

• Usually, I go to the cinema with my friends on Saturday nights. I love going with friends because we have a lot of fun. My friend Jac likes watching action films and my friend Gareth likes watching comedy films. I don't like going to the cinema with mum because she likes romantic films. Talk about boring! Sometimes I enjoy going to the cinema with my step-dad because he likes science-fiction films like me. We went to the cinema on Wednesday night and we watched a new film. It was very exciting.
  • Elin has used simple sentences and given simple reasons for her opinions. Morgan has gone into a lot more detail and has given full reasons for his opinions. He has used the plural verb form rydyn ni and has used very good link words like fel arfer and weithiau. He also uses the past tense and has expressed an opinion in the past tense using roedd e.

5. Beth ydy dy hoff ffilm? - What is your favourite film?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Fy hoff ffilmiau ydy ffilmiau comedi achos mae’r actio’n glyfar a mae’r stori’n ddoniol.

• My favourite films are comedy films because the acting is clever and the story is funny.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Fy hoff ffilm ydy Slumdog Millionaire. Yn fy marn i, mae hi’n ffilm ardderchog achos mae’r stori’n drist ac yn ddoniol. Roeddwn i’n chwerthin ac yn crio yn y sinema. Mae’r cymeriadau’n ardderchog a mae India yn edrych yn wych. Fy nghas ffilmiau ydy ffilmiau cartŵn. Dw i’n meddwl bod ffilmiau cartŵn yn ddiflas a mae’r cymeriadau’n ofnadwy. Mae’n well gyda fi ffilmiau real.

• My favourite film is Slumdog Millionaire. In my opinion, it's an excellent film because the story is sad and funny. I was laughing and crying in the cinema. The characters are excellent and India looks fantastic. My least favourite films are animations. I think that animations are boring and the characters are awful. I prefer real-life films.
  • Elin has answered the question clearly but simply and it’s very short. Morgan has used a variety of complex opinion sentences and has supported these with detailed opinions. He has used negative structures to help convey his viewpoint more clearly.

6. Pwy ydy dy hoff actor? - Who's your favourite actor?

girl with long red hair

Elin says:

• Fy hoff actor ydy Heath Ledger. Yn anffodus mae o wedi marw, ond roedd o’n cŵl a roedd o’n actio’n wych.

• My favourite actor is Heath Ledger. Unfortunately he has died, but he was cool and he was a fantastic actor.
boy wearing a blue hooded top

Morgan says:

• Fy hoff actor ydy Michael Sheen, achos mae e’n actor dawnus dros ben a mae e’n Gymro wrth gwrs. Dw i wrth fy modd gyda ffilmiau Michael Sheen achos mae e’n dalentog iawn. Mwynheuais i wylio ei ffilm ddiweddaraf a hoffwn i weld mwy o ffilmiau tebyg yn y dyfodol.

• My favourite actor is Michael Sheen, because he's an extremely gifted actor and he's Welsh of course. I love films with Michael Sheen because he's very talented. I enjoyed watching his latest film and I would like to see more similar films in the future.
  • Elin has given a short answer only. On the other hand, Morgan has gone into much more detail. He has used a variety of more complex structures and has supported all his opinions with reasons. He has also used more than one tense to support his answer.

Success Criteria

Below is a table showing Elin and Morgan's success criteria.

Language patternsMorganElin
Use full sentencesYesYes
Positive and negative sentencesYesYes
Variety of sentence patternsYesYes
Different reasons to support opinionsYesYes
Use 3rd person sentences, eg he, sheYesYes
Different tensesYes-
use plural verb forms, eg we, theyYes-
Relevant vocabularyYes-
Use idiomatic phrasesYes-
Use complex opinion structuresYes-

Conversation simulation: dialogue

File

Full script (PDF file 124kb)

Can't open this file? Visit BBC Webwise for help with Adobe Reader.

Conversation simulation: answering questions

Conversation simulation: asking questions

Translation and hints

QuestionsHints
  • 1. Wyt ti eisiau dod i’r sinema efo fi nos Sadwrn?
  • Do you want to come to the cinema with me on Saturday night?
Don't just answer ydw or nac ydw (yes or no). Answer in a full sentence. Always give reasons for your answer.
  • 2. Beth hoffet ti fynd i weld?
  • What would you like to go to see?
Answer this question using the conditional tense hoffwn i. Say which type of film you would like to see as well as the actual name of the film. Give reasons for your choice.
  • 3. Faint mae’n gostio i fynd i’r sinema?
  • How much does it cost to go to the cinema?
Here you should give more information about the cost of going to the cinema, eg how much does the admission ticket cost, how much do the other things associated with going to the cinema cost. You must also give your opinion about the cost here.
  • 4. Pryd est ti i’r sinema ddiwethaf?
  • When did you go to the cinema last?
Now is your opportunity to show off your knowledge of the past tense. You should also give more information, eg when, who with, to see what and you should also give your opinion about the film you saw.
  • 5. Wyt ti’n mwynhau ffilmiau comedi?
  • Do you enjoy comedy films?
Here, you should answer yes, no or even of course, but ensure that you answer in a full sentence. You should talk about a comedy film or actor that you like or don’t like in order to give a longer answer and as always, give reasons for your opinion. You could also use more complex opinions patterns such as yn fy marn i or dw i’n meddwl bod.
  • 6. Pwy ydy dy hoff actor di?
  • Who’s your favourite actor?
Here, as well as saying who your favourite actor is, you need to say why you like him or her. You could extend this answer by giving more details about the actor, eg which films has he or she been in, and by using describing sentences.
  • 7. Pa ffilm hoffet ti weld yn y dyfodol?
  • Which film would you like to see in the future?
Here’s another opportunity to use the conditional tense hoffwn i. You could also use the future tense bydda i’n here in order to say when you will be going or with whom you will or won’t be going to watch the film. As always, say why you would like to see this film.

Back to Revision Bite