Revision tip and answer preparation
- 'Primitive peoples knew next to nothing about the true nature of disease.'
- 'Primitive peoples that survive in the modern age seem to have built up a system of skills and behaviours that keeps them healthy in their environment.'
Look back over the facts and ideas you have studied in the prehistoric medicine unit, and come to a considered opinion as to which statement is more true about prehistoric medicine.
As part of your revision, think about the arguments and facts you would use to explain:
- How prehistoric medicine reflected the ideas and practices of prehistoric society.
- What caused people to be healthy or unhealthy in prehistoric times.
- What ideas people in prehistoric times had about the causes and treatment of illness and injuries.
- Who provided medical care in prehistoric times.
- How much (or whether) medicine changed in prehistoric times.
- How (or whether) the process of change was influenced by:
- the government
- science and technology
- attitudes and beliefs in society
- To what extent developments in medical understanding and practice in prehistoric times affected people's lives.
Now try a Test Bite