Revision tip and answer preparation
'Greek doctors developed the first rational system of medicine'
['rational' means: based on logic and common sense].
Explain this sentence by making a list of all the advances made by Greek doctors. As you read, note down when you can confirm one of the following possible comments about Greek doctors:
- they knew about the inner workings of the body
- they developed clinical observation
- they studied the natural history of diseases
- they realised that diseases had natural causes and cures
- they developed the theory of the Four Humours and the 'use of opposites'
- they wrote and used medical textbooks
- they were professional and took the Hippocratic Oath
- they were skilled at setting broken bones and slipped discs
- they knew hundreds of herbal remedies
- they had a reassuring 'bedside manner'
- they developed a Programme for Health for personal health and hygiene.
As part of your revision, think about the arguments and facts you would use to explain:
- How Greek medicine reflected the ideas and practices of Greek civilisation.
- What caused people to be healthy or unhealthy in Greek times.
- What ideas the Greeks had about the causes and treatment of illness and injuries.
- Who provided medical care in Greek times.
- How much (or whether) medicine changed in Greek times, and what the main turning points were.
- Why some diagnoses and treatments changed while others remained the same.
- How (or whether) the process of change was influenced by:
- the government
- science and technology
- attitudes and beliefs in society
- To what extent developments in medical understanding and practice in Greek times affected people's lives.
Now try a Test Bite