Stalin - purges and praises
You will also need to know about the 1936 Constitution - also known as Stalin's Constitution:
- The 1936 Constitution changed the name of the Central Executive Committee to the Supreme Soviet.
- The Supreme Soviet was empowered to set up Commissions, which administered most of the government.
- The leader of the Presidium was declared to be the Head of State.
- The 1936 Constitution thus focussed power in Stalin's hands.
- It also gave everyone some good things such as rights to vote (but only for the Communist Party), to work, to rest and leisure, to health protection, to care in old age and sickness, to housing and education.