Background to rivers
Terminology for the study of rivers
- Drainage basin - the area of land drained by a river.
- Catchment area - the area within the drainage basin.
- Watershed - the edge of highland surrounding a drainage basin. It marks the boundary between two drainage basins.
- Source - The beginning or start of a river.
- Confluence - the point at which two rivers or streams join.
- Tributary - a stream or smaller river which joins a larger stream or river.
- Mouth - the point where the river comes to the end, usually when entering a sea.
Now try a Test Bite.
Back to Water and rivers index