Bitesize has changed! We're updating subjects as fast as we can. Visit our new site to find Bitesize guides and clips - and tell us what you think!

Design & Technology

Production techniques

Batch production tools

When making several identical products or parts, jigs, formers, templates, patterns and moulds are used to ensure the parts are all the same.

  • A jig is used to make sure that parts are made exactly the same, without the need for marking out [marking out: Marking out means the transfer of shapes and lines onto the material, as guides for cutting, bending or shaping it. ]. For example, when drilling through a block of wood with two holes in, it will make sure that the holes are drilled in the same place in each component.
  • A former is used to make sure that parts are shaped or bent to exactly the same shape.
  • A template is something that you can draw around to mark a shape onto material, so that it can be cut or shaped.
  • A pattern is used to make a mould when casting in metal or plastic resin. It is a replica of the finished object and may be made in wood or another soft material. Patterns are also used when shaping plastics in a vacuum-forming machine.
  • A mould is a hollow shape used when casting metal or plastic resin [resin: 'Raw' plastic, especially when in semi-liquid form (Resistant materials). Substances (eg acrylics and urethanes) which, applied to a fabric's surface, evaporate to leave a film upon it (Textiles technology). ]. Moulds for casting metal can be made in a special type of sand, in metal or in plaster. Moulds for casting resin can be made of plaster or rubber.

Back to Resistant materials index

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.