Effective communication is important both within an organisation and externally. Effective communication improves business efficiency.
What is communication?
Communication is about passing messages between people or organisations. Messages between a sender and receiver take place using a medium such as email or phone.
One-way communication is when the receiver cannot respond to a message. Two-way communication is when the receiver can respond to a message. This allows confirmation the message has been both received and understood.
Types of communication
There are a number of technical terms you need to learn:
Internal communications take place between people within organisations
- Internal communications happen within the business.
- External communications take place between the business and outside individuals or organisations.
- Vertical communications are messages sent between staff belonging to different levels of the organisation hierarchy.
- Horizontal communications are messages sent between staff on the same level of the organisation hierarchy.
- Formal communications are official messages sent by an organisation, eg a company memo, fax or report.
- Informal communications are unofficial messages not formally approved by the business, eg everyday conversation or gossip between staff.
- A channel of communication is the path taken by a message.