- Be prepared. Make sure you know your subject before you start your interview.
- Use the 5 W's - Who, What, Why, Where and When - of newsgathering. And don't forget How!
- Ask open questions - don't let your subject give 'yes' or 'no' answers.
- Don't be scared of asking simple questions like 'How do you feel?' It will often get you the answer you want.
- Listen to the answers! Don't just plough through your questions - you might miss something interesting.
- Avoid clever-sounding jargon or acronyms.
- Be persistent, but avoid being aggressive.
- Relax and be yourself!
More School Report pocket guides here!