1918-2008: Ninety Years of Remembrance

Soldier Record

Henry Earnest Reynolds

Contributed by: David Reynolds, on 2008-11-08

No portrait available
First Name Henry Earnest
Surname Reynolds
Year of Birth 1894
Year of Death 1956
Regiment King's Regiment (Liverpool)
Place of Wartime Residence Liverpool, Lancashire

Henry Earnest's Story

5ft10ins tall, Slim build Sandy hair, spoke with slight Liverpool accent,always smartly dressed, Harry (as he was known) Reynolds was son of an Auctioneer in Wallacy,Liverpool.

When he left school he worked in the WD&HO Wills cigarette factory in Liverpool until war broke out in 1914. As he was age 20 he and all his palls enlisted for military service and did his basic training at Oswestry training camp. A year later he, and many thousands of youg men who trained with him,were sent to France and he was stationed near Paris before being sent to the front line in Belgium.

That was where he experienced trench warfare for the first time. Inspite of all the horrors that he went through in the trenches he enjoyed his military service, he went through the battle of the Somme and servived that, a few weeks later he was working with a squad at Ypres, repairing trenches after a heavy bombardment by German guns,a heavy shell landed near to the squad and burried them all with several tonnes of soil.

Three days later a soldier standing near where the squad had been working heard a moaning noise coming from the mound of soil and started to dig and uncovered my father's head, he was still alive!! Several men pulled him out and managed to revive him.

He was sent to the military hospital in France and was sent on to a London hospital where he was treated for the the terrible effects of being burried alive, his whole body had swollen up and it was feared he wouldn't live, his mother and father were called from Liverpool. This saved his life because his mother knew that his favourite fruit was oranges and brought a couple of pounds with her. Although forbidden to eat them by the nursing staff he couldn't resist them and got a terrible row from the matron when making his bed found an orange pip!

Miraculously my father recovered(it is belivied that it was the vitamins in oranges which reversed his condition) and three months later was discharge from hospital.

The war ended and Harry came to work in London in the then very new Film industry. He worked for ABFD Associated British Film Distributors where he met and married his secretary(my mum).He formed his own Film Company, Beacon Films and was the first man to put sub-titles onto foreign films.

Mum and Dad had three children, two sons and a daughter and we all lived in Dulwich, South East London until 1940 (Sept.15th) when this time a German Bomb landed on our house and we all moved out to the country to live happily ever after!

Other memories

No additional memories have been submitted

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.