1918-2008: Ninety Years of Remembrance

Soldier Record

William Henry Kay

Contributed by: Mark Groom, on 2008-11-21

No portrait available
First Name William Henry
Surname Kay
Year of Birth 1891
Year of Death 1956
Regiment Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire)
Place of Wartime Residence Oldham, Lancashire

William Henry's Story

Born in the parish of St Mary's Oldham on 1 December 1889 my Grandmother's step-father joined the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment on 11 August 1914 leaving his trade as a Spinner behind. He was 5 foot 3 inch tall and weighed in at 138lbs at the time of his attestation.

He joined the 6th Battalion the following day moving to Tidworth and later Blackdown for training before departing England at Avonmouth, Bristol aboard the Braemar Castle on 16 June 1915, their destination being Gallipoli. He arrived at Cape Helles on 7th July 1915 where he proceeded to be in and out of the line until relieving the Auckland Battalion at Chunuk Bair on 9th August 1916. The following morning at sunrise the Battalion along with the 5th Wiltshire's were overwhelmed by the Turks, my Great Grandfather receiving a bullet wound to the neck and being admitted to the New Zealand Field Ambulance before being taken from Mudros Harbour aboard the Aquitania back to Southampton and hospital at Netley. He was discharged to depot (Preston) on 15 October 1915.

He was then posted to the 9th Battalion in early January 1916 embarking for France on 19th before joining the Battalion at Steenwerck (France) in early February 1916. He saw action at Ovillers between 3rd and 17th July 1916 and at Theipval in August before the Battalion were taken out of line and moved to Franso on 12th September 1916. It was here he was tried by Field Court Martial for striking his superior officer and sentenced to 18 months hard labour being remitted by 12 months and released at 22nd December 1916. He rejoined the Battalion at Ploegsteert Wood being made a Lance Corporal in January and a Full Corporal at May 1917.

He fought at Messines on 7th June 1917 and at Westhoek on 10th August 1917 receiving the Military Medal for rescuing his officer (family tale?) in the latter action before again being shot and wounded in his left arm and both thighs! He was then moved back via the Casualty Clearing Station at Brandhoek to Hospital in Etaples. He remained in hospital (somewhere?) until December 1917 before again being returned to the Depot Battalion at Preston.

He then embarked from Folkstone arriving in Boulogne on 1st February 1918 before again joining the 9th Battalion on 18th February in the Achiet le Petite sector. It was at Achiet le Grand on 21st March 1918 that he was reported missing in action, in fact being captured on 26th March 1918 and taken to Munster Camp in Germany, his war now over. He was repatriated and returned to Preston on 6th January 1919 before demob on 4th April 1919 and a return civilian life in Todmorden never to talk about his experiences again!

Other memories

No additional memories have been submitted

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.