Monograph Monograph 13 Download
Even before the closing down of the BBC's Television Service upon the outbreak of war in September 1939, attention had been focused on the need to provide permanent accommodation in London adequate for the requirements of a rapidly expanding service.
After the war the problem became still more acute and the Corporation acquired a site of some 13 1/2 acres near Shepherd's Bush, which had once been part of the 1908 Franco-British Exhibition. On this site the BBC's main London Television Centre is now under construction. It was evident that the development of this site to a state in which it could play a leading part in television programme production would take a considerable time, and it was therefore necessary to provide interim studio accommodation.
Various premises have been acquired, the latest of which are the Riverside Television Studios at Hammersmith. At the time of their purchase by the BBC, these studios were being used for film production and considerable modification and adaptation were necessary to convert the premises into a self-contained television studio centre.
It is with the architectural and civil engineering aspects of the development of the Riverside premises that this Monograph will attempt to deal, although, in fact, the whole project involved the closest possible co-ordination with the technical staff responsible for the installation and operation of an immense amount of electrical apparatus.