The House of St Barnabas provides a quiet haven for 39 homeless women who need more than just a meal and a bed for the night.
Established in 1846 to provide temporary accommodation for homeless people, the House of St. Barnabas-in-Soho was founded on the ideal of Practical Christianity, inspired by the Oxford Movement. After the Second World War it opened its doors to demobbed women, and since then it has provided shelter for women only.
The present Grade 1 listed building dates from 1754 and contains rare examples of period plaster work and intricate wrought-iron balustrades,but do the women who live there even notice the beauty that surrounds them? Angela Robson went along to meet one of the residents where she was shown around by Eluned Santos, chief executive of St Barnabas-in-Soho.