Corn Flakes, Traffic, & the Moroccan Question
The 1906 General Election returned Campbell-Bannerman and the Liberal Party. It is at this point that the Labour Representation Committee became the Labour Party. They and the Irish Nationalists supported the new Liberal Government.
The opening of Parliament in October saw a protest from the Suffragettes. They wanted "one woman, one vote" and thought the Liberals would champion their cause - they were wrong.
The Germans challenged France over Morocco, the French looked to England under the terms of the Entente Cordiale to come to their aid should the Germans go to war. Nothing came of it but the English and the French began military discussions which continued until the Great War.
WILHELM II (1859-1941)
- Third German emperor 1888 to 1918
- Ninth King of Prussia
- Born in Berlin, he was Queen Victoria's grandson
- Schooled at the Kassel Gymansium and the University of Bonn
- Married Princess Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein in 1881
- Ill health led him to be less active in politics after 1908 though he encouraged the development of the navy in the last 10 years of his reign.
- Supported plans to build up a large navy
- Did not fully understand that Germany's actions over the Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo would led to war
- Lost all pretence of power during the war and was forced to abdicate on 9 November 1918
- Fled to Holland
In 1906 underground railway tunnels were being built in London. The expression "tube" came from the tunnel rather than the train.
Prime Ministers 1895-1951
- Marquess of Salisbury (1895-1902) Conservative
- Arthur Balfour (1902-1905) Conservative
- Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (1905-1908) Liberal
- Herbert Asquith (1908-1916) Liberal
- David Lloyd George (1916-1922) Coalition
- Andrew Bonar Law (1922-1923) Conservative
- Stanley Baldwin (1923-1924) Conservative
- Ramsay MacDonald (1924) Liberal
- Stanley Baldwin (1924-1929) Conservative
- Ramsay MacDonald (1929-1935) Liberal
- Stanley Baldwin (1935-1937) Nat. Gov.
- Neville Chamberlain (1937-1940) Nat. Gov.
- Winston Churchill (1940-1945) Coalition
- Clement Atlee (1945-1951) Liberal
/home/system/data/timb/kwikquiz.dat does not exist
/home/system/data/timb/kwikquiz.html does not exist
|1901||Edward VII becomes king|
|1902||Balfour becomes Prime Minister|
Balfour's Education Act
|1903||Chamberlain resigns to campaign for tariff reform|
The Women's Social and Political Union is founded by Emmeline Pankhurst
|1904||The Russo-Japanese War begins|
|1905||Campbell-Bannerman becomes Prime Minister|
The first motor buses are seen in London
|1906||Trade Disputes Act is passed|
|1907||Anglo-Russian entente is formed|
Asquith becomes Prime Minister
|1909||Old Age Pensions are introduced|
|1910||George V becomes king|
The Union of South Africa is established
|1911||The Parliament Act is passed|
The National Insurance Act is passed