Comments on The Age of the Universe

Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the age of the universe.

Programme information and audio

Comments

• 1. At 09:50am on 03 Mar 2011, barriesingleton wrote:

Todays programme orthodox-excellent. 60 years is long enough to wait for the alternative paradigm. Please deliver the Electric/Plasma Universe to the general public.

PS: Hubble was not adamant (i.e. unscientific) only Hubble worshippers.

• 2. At 09:58am on 03 Mar 2011, steven isle wrote:

• 3. At 10:00am on 03 Mar 2011, Madelyn Freeman wrote:

• 4. At 10:09am on 03 Mar 2011, Madelyn Freeman wrote:

Brilliant programme, as always. I would like to suggest, perhaps, that a more specific look into the nature of humans may be appropriate at this juncture, where violence and degradation of dignity plays out on the international stage with alarming and nauseating regularity. Could we look into the formation and structure of personality? How is it that brutality and violence rules human conduct to the degree we are currently witnessing throughout the globe? We need a good neuroscientist and evolutionary psychologist I believe to help us better understand matters closer to home! Brilliant programme. Many thanks for illuminating the darkness.

• 5. At 10:15am on 03 Mar 2011, Martin Stephen wrote:

Outstanding. Could someone please lead me to the place where listeners can suggest future topics? There doesn't seem to be a link on the Homepage.

• 6. At 10:57am on 03 Mar 2011, FoxyN wrote:

Re the suggestions for future programmes, given that IoT has already covered 500 topics, it would seem a good idea to have an easily accessible alphabetical list of these so that listeners wishing to make suggestions can avoid duplicating them.

• 7. At 2:09pm on 03 Mar 2011, me wrote:

How you can broadcast a whole programme on this subject without
    mentioning Vesto Slipher is beyond my understanding.
    Talk about rewriting history.

• 8. At 2:12pm on 03 Mar 2011, dennismilstead wrote:

What a fascinating programme.

• 9. At 3:02pm on 03 Mar 2011, j fajerman wrote:

Dear Mr Bragg. I listened with interest to In Our Time, this morning 3 March 2011. I have a query about it, but I would like to give you a brief CV first. I studied biochemistry at the University of the Witwatersrand, or Wits, as it was popularly called. Although I didn’t need to, I read on other types of science. I read on nuclear physics and astronomy, but avoided the books with all the maths. I studied calculus to the point where I could understand how Newton could calculate the orbit of the planets. As far as rocket science was concerned, I was reading it at school, mostly during history classes.
    My query is this: Newton says that a body will continue in a state of motion unless acted on by an external force.
    I can understand that the Big Bang (have you read Terry Pratchetts The Light Fantastic?) could have sent the galaxies speeding out into the distance, but what is the external force that is causing them to accelerate?

If you could put this query to your panel of astro=physicists, I would be most grateful. I would also be grateful if I could be informed of their reply.

Yours truly Joe Fajerman

[Personal details removed by Moderator]

• 10. At 4:13pm on 03 Mar 2011, monty wrote:

Like Martin Stephen I too would like to suggest a future topic but like him I can't find an appropriate link.

• 11. At 6:07pm on 03 Mar 2011, Peter Bolt wrote:

Re Your Newsletter;
    Wasn`t it Prof Hoyle that first mooted the idea that life on planet Earth was "seeded" from outer space by the fall out from comets etc.?

• 12. At 8:33pm on 03 Mar 2011, William Stevenson wrote:

This is one of the best science programmes on BBC radio and TV. This is because heavy duty panellists are chosen and they don't have to be glammed-up for TV, be shown walking and driving around or stand by a load of computer graphics. Therefore, they have more time to think about what they say, and generally pitch it at about the right level. It will be bad news when some new controller decides to replace it with something more youth oriented.

• 13. At 9:14pm on 03 Mar 2011, léo burton wrote:

are the calculations about the age of the universe based on the aasumption that the speed o light has always been the same?

• 14. At 10:27pm on 03 Mar 2011, James Baring wrote:

I don't know where Carlos Frenk was living 40 years ago (see your news letter) but in England cosmology had been a study of intense interest for the 30 years I had already been alive by then. It was Bernard Levin who was the joke, not cosmology. It was the most obviously interesting branch of science for any child who had been given a gyroscope. An understanding of dark energy, gravity and many other paradoxes will come quite rapidly once scientists get rid of their current misunderstanding of space-time.

• 15. At 08:00am on 04 Mar 2011, Dave Evans wrote:

Really enjoyed the programme. Like a lot of people i have a suggestion for a future topic but am not able to find the link. Looking forward to hearing my programme.

Podcasts

1. Download every edition Download the podcast As well as the regular weekly podcast, you can now download past editions of the series via the new genre archives.

Newsletter

Melvyn Bragg

Melvyn Bragg's personal insight into the latest programme.

Read the newsletter