31. Free Thinking Manifesto Bridging the Generation Gap
What can the generations learn from each other? Free Thinking sends a pensioner and a teenager out into the festival weekend to discover what each of their generations would like to say to each other.
They report back in this entertaining session chaired by Night Waves's Matthew Sweet. With the help of the audience we draw up a manifesto for crossing the age gap.
The Free Thinking Festival 08 Manifesto for Bridging the Generation Gap
During this year's Free Thinking festival we wanted to create a manifesto for Bridging the Generation Gap.
Our audiences at FACT, led by 80 year old Keith and 17 year old Hannah, emerged after a Sunday afternoon discussion with the following 10 point plan.
1. More inter-generational days out and try speed-dating.
2. Abandon your prejudices about youth and age.
3. Older people should remember what it was like to be young and younger people should bear in mind that they will be old one day.
4. Teach your Granny to text.
5. The young and old should celebrate each others' successes.
6. More inter-generational smiling.
7. Volunteer, and create your own community groups.
8. Ask your Granny round for dinner.
9. Hug a Goth!
10. Share each others' stories.
Listen to the recording of the session and hear the discussion.
Audio available in iPlayer for 7 days after broadcast.
Audio available on this page in perpetuity first working day after the broadcast.