A Festival of Light Music
Radio 3's 'Light Fantastic' festival took place over the weekend of 24-27 June 2011 with the best of British light music. The beautifully crafted compositions of Eric Coates, Robert Farnon and Ernest Tomlinson featured in concerts and programmes across the station.
Friday 24th June: The BBC Philharmonic performed 'Music While You Work' live from a factory in Salford.
Friday 24th June: Radio 3 joined with Radio 2 for a 'one night only' simultaneous broadcast of 'Friday Night is Music Night' conducted by Gavin Sutherland, with guest stars Lesley Garrett and Richard Suart.
Saturday 25th June: John Wilson conducted Masters of Light Music with the BBC Symphony Orchestra at London's South Bank Centre.
Saturday 25th June: BBC Big Band with Claire Martin in a late-night Jazz Line-Up concert recording in the Southbank Centre's Clore Ballroom.
Other events included Come and Sing Gilbert and Sullivan's rollicking comic opera, The Pirates of Penzance with the BBC Singers and BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra in Glasgow and with the BBC Singers and BBC Philharmonic in Manchester.Light Fantastic Weekend at the Southbank Centre - Full details.
Light Music Programmes on Radio 3
Special broadcasts featuring Light Music across Radio 3 and available to listen to online for 7 days with BBC iPlayer
- Afternoon on 3 - Light Fantastic
- Radio 3 Live in Concert/Friday Night is Music Night
- Composer of the Week - Light Music
- Music Matters - What happened to British Light Music?
- Light Fantastic - Signature Tunes
- Light Fantastic - Light Winds in London
- Light Fantastic - Great Masters of Light Music
- Private Passions - Light Fantastic Compilation
- Light Fantastic - The Last Seaside Orchestra
- Light Fantastic - The King of Instruments
- Sunday Concert - Listeners Light Music choices
- Choral Evensong - Queen's Chapel of the Savoy
- Light Fantastic - Live Tea Dance
- The Choir - Light Choral Classics
- Discovering Music - Eric Coates
- Light Fantastic - Studio round-up
- Words and Music - The 1950s
- Jazz Line-Up - BBC Big Band