Tips For Before Bank Holiday Monday:
1. Hand out your invitations in plenty of time. Don’t just post them through the door; go and introduce yourself to your neighbours!
2. Get together with some neighbours and plan the party. Share out the tasks; don’t try and do it all yourself.
3. Decide where the party is going to be. It’s best to get together in somebody’s garden, driveway or house. Avoid blocking the road especially if it’s a busy street. Taking into account the Great British weather, you may also want to have a wet weather contingency plan.
4. Think about the food and drink. Do you want a BBQ or sandwiches and cakes? Get everybody to bring some food and drink to share.
5. Pool your resources and ask people to bring chairs and tables.
6. Think about the ages of your neighbours. How are you going to occupy them? Is anybody good at face painting, for example? Get people to bring some games.
7. Radio 2 is going to be the soundtrack to accompany your party so make sure you’ve thought about a radio and speakers. But on the day, make sure the volume is not up too loud.
8. Think about any possible hazards at the party, for example, from a BBQ. Agree beforehand that everybody takes responsibility for themselves and their children.
9. Go round to see your neighbours the weekend before and give them a final reminder of what you’re planning.
10. Keep checking the Radio 2 Great British Street Party website for more information and make sure you’ve let us know about your party and your all-time feel-good party track.
The Big Day:
1. The Radio 2 Great British Street Party kicks off at 1pm so make sure you set up tables and chairs in plenty of time.
2. Have your radio station tuned into BBC Radio 2 on Bank Holiday Monday for the Radio 2 Great British Street Party. There will be lots going on during this special show and we want to know what you’re up to so phone in during the show and let us know and send us your photos for the website.
3. Most importantly enjoy your Radio 2 Great British Street Party and getting to know your neighbours!