Volatile Substances or Solvents are household chemicals that give off fumes, such as glue, hairspray and paint, which are inhaled for drug-like effects. Although they're found in every home, they can be deadly if used inappropriately.
Solvents are usually household chemicals that give off fumes. They are things like glue, hairspray, gas refills for lighters, paints, thinners and correcting fluids.
Sniffing dulls your senses and makes you feel woozy and perhaps a bit giggly. The effects only last 15-40 minutes. When they wear off it is quite common to feel sick and headachey.
If you keep going on glue for a long time, you can start to feel very weird and will probably throw up quite a lot.
Sniffing solvents from a bag is likely to give you a rash around your mouth and it can damage the lining of your nose and airways.
Accidents are much more likely if you are out of it on solvents.
Solvents are really quite poisonous. If you use them regularly, these chemicals will damage your brain, liver and kidneys.
Never spray solvents directly down your throat. This could kill you or leave you very sick indeed.
It is illegal for shopkeepers to sell butane gas lighter refills to anyone under the age of 18.
It is illegal for shopkeepers to sell other solvents to under 18s if they suspect that they are for sniffing.