Afia was adventurous and straight to the point. She didn't sugar-coat the truth, and didn't follow everyone else.
|Fact title||Fact data|
|First appearance:|| |
29th December 2009
|Last appearance:|| |
7 June 2012
Co-owned and ran Argee Bhajee/Optician's receptionist
Afia knew what she wanted - and how to get it. Which is how she and Tamwar got together. And ultimately how their marriage fell apart.
You must agreeAfia Masood
- Favourite attire: Trainers - she's a tomboy at heart
- Favourite food: Khir
- Beliefs: Afia is a Muslim but she didn't really do the whole Ramadan thing before marrying Tamwar
- Transport: Rides a scooter for the Argee Bhajee business
If Afia had been the shy and retiring type, she'd still be waiting for Tamwar to make a move. They married in secret, then had a second traditional family wedding.
But outside forces rocked their relationship. Her father Yusef drove a wedge through Tamwar's family, and nearly destroyed his mother. Yusef died in a fire, in which Tamwar received serious burns.
Tamwar and Afia's relationship never quite recovered. Ultimately, they realised that they wanted different things from life - Afia left on her moped for travel and adventure, Tamwar stayed at home with his mum.
- EastEnders was Meryl's first professional acting role, although she has also appeared in the show as a schoolgirl extra!
- She has also starred in a variety of television shows, including the smash hit drama Doctor Who and Minder, alongside none other than resident cheeky-chappy Shane Richie!
- On stage, Meryl has dazzled audiences at the National Theatre in The Man of Mode and A Matter of Life and Death