20 from 20
20 memorable characters from the last 20 years on BBC Radio 4
As a part of BBC Radio 4’s Character Invasion on Saturday March 29 we’ve selected a cast of the most memorable characters that Radio 4 has created over the last twenty or so years for you to enjoy . Come to a Lights Down, Listen session at the BBC in Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol , Cardiff, Glasgow, London and Salford or listen online.
8. In 1982 Channel 4 launched with "Walter" starring Ian McKellen as a man with learning difficulties. Over 25 years later award-winning writer David Cook bought Walter (Ian McKellen) back to life for Radio 4 in Walter Now.
You can hear Walter Lights Down,Listen at the Media Café Broadcasting House as part of Character Invasion.
9. Vera Small (Patricia Routledge) and Irene Spencer (Prunella Scales) are the corresponding friends of Ladies of Letters, a drama series based on the books by Carole Hayman and Lou Wakefield.
You can hear Ladies of Letters Lights Down,Listen at the Media Café Broadcasting House as part of Character Invasion.
15. Dafydd Thomas and Vicky Pollard are two of Matt Lucas' characters in cult sketch show Little Britain. Before appearing on our TV screens in 2003, the comedy series began on Radio 4 with a humble five episodes in 2001.
You can hear Little Britain Lights Down,Listen at Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama as part of Character Invasion.
17. Arthur Dent (Simon Jones) is the star of the cult sci-fi series, The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. First broadcast on Radio 4 in 1978, a new version is being performed and broadcast live from the Radio Theatre on Character Invasion day.
18. Alan Partridge (Steve Coogan) may have reached the dizzy heights of starring in his own feature film last year but Norfolk's favourite radio DJ first appeared in Radio 4's On The Hour on Radio 4 in 1991.
You can hear Alan Partridge Lights Down,Listen at Salford University as part of Character Invasion.
19. The Kumars (Sanjeev Bhaskar, Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Syal and Nina Wadia) are the family at the heart of the comedy sketch show Goodness Gracious Me that aired on BBC Radio 4 from 1996 to 1998 and was later televised on BBC Two from 1998 to 2001.
You can hear The Kumars Lights Down,Listen at Salford University as part of Character Invasion.