Finland: Tommi Hakala
Baritone - born 1970
Winner, BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2003
Born in Riihimäki, Tommi studied at the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki before moving to Germany to continue his training at the Staatliche Hochschule für Musik, Karlsruhe.
He has won several prizes including first prize in the Finnish Merikanto Competition in 2001.
A member of the Leipzig Opera since 2001, his roles have included Ford Falstaff, Rodrigo Don Carlo and Wolfram Tannhaüser.
Directly following the Competition he sang Marullo Rigoletto and the baritone solo in Carmina Burana at the Savonlinna Festival.
In 2003/4 Tommi was due to perform as the Count Le nozze di Figaro, Man from Minsk The Flight (Jonathan Dove), Germont La traviata and Chorèbe Les Troyens, all in Leipzig.
Tommi enjoys being with his family, looking after his German shepherd dog and reading.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 1 repertoire
- Gounod: Avant de quitter ces lieux, Faust
- Bach: Grosser Herr und starker König, Weihnachts Oratorium
- Verdi: Son io, mio Carlo - Per me giunto, Don Carlo
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 4 repertoire
- Kuula: Sinipiika, Op 23 No 1
- Kuula: Karjapihassa, Op 31 No 2
- Kuula: Ave Maria, Op 23
- Pfitzner: Sehnsucht, Op 10 No 1
- Pfitzner: Müde, Op 10
- Pfitzner: Abendrot, Op 24
- Mozart: Hai già vinta la causa!...Vedrò mentr'io sospiro, Le nozze di Figaro
- Wagner: Blick' ich umher in diesem edlen Kreise, Tannhäuser
- Verdi: È sogno? O realtà, Falstaff