Russia: Elena Manistina
Mezzo - born 1973
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World competitor
Elena was born in Saratov and trained at The Music School of Saratov and the Moscow State Conservatory P I Tchaikovsky.
Winner of first prize in the 2002 Operalia Competition and several other prizes, Elena made her debut as Marfa in Mussorgsky's Khovanshina, a role she has repeated many times.
Other roles include Ulrica Un ballo in maschera, Countess The Queen of Spades for Washington Opera, Amelfa The Golden Cockerel for the Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow and the Châtelet, Paris, Martha Iolanta and Lyubasha Tsar's Bride also in Paris.
Engagements following the competition were set to include a tour of Japan with the Berlin Symphony Orchestra (Beethoven Symphony No 9), Amneris Aida in Mexico and Nice and Azucena Il trovatore, in Paris.
Elena likes to go to concerts and the cinema in her spare time.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 1 repertoire
- Tchaikovsky: Da, chas nastal, The Maid of Orleans
- Donizetti: Fia dunque vero...Oh, mio Fernando, La favorita
- Saint-Saens: Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix, Samson et Dalila
- Mascagni: Voi lo sapete, o mamma, Cavalleria Rusticana
- Saint-Saens: Samson, recherchant ma présence...Amour! Viens aider ma faiblesse!, Samson et Dalila
- Cilèa: Acerba voluttà, Adriana Lecouvreur