USA: Nicholas Phan
Tenor - born 1979
BBC Cardiff Singer of the World and Song Prize competitor
Nicholas, one of the youngest contestants, was born in Hartford, Connecticut. He trained at the University of Michigan and the Manhattan School of Music, winning several prizes whilst studying.
At the time of the competition he was a member of the Houston Grand Opera Studio where roles for the Grand Opera include Parpignol La bohème, Odoardo Ariodante, Raoul de St. Brioche The Merry Widow, Arturo Lucia di Lammermoor and Gastone La traviata.
For Glimmerglass Opera he has sung Beppe Pagliacci and Licone Orlando Paladino, and has also sung the role of Iopas Les Troyens with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Future engagements at the time of the competition were due to include Conte Almaviva Il barbiere di Siviglia for Wolf Trap Opera.
His hobbies are watching films, cooking and reading.
Singer of the World with Orchestra Concert 3 repertoire
- Mozart: Ich baue ganz, Die Entfügrung aus dem Serail
- Stravinsky: Here I stand...Since it is by merit, The Rake's Progress
- Berlioz: O blonde Cérès, Les Troyens
- Rossini: Intesi: ah! tutto intesi...Tu seconda il mio disegno, Il turco in Italia
Rosenblatt Recital Song Prize Concert 1 repertoire
- Mozart: Die ihr des unermesslichen Weltalls Schöpfer ehrt, K 619
- Fauré: La lune blanche luit dans les bois, La bonne chanson Op 61 No 3
- Fauré: L'hiver a cessé, La bonne chanson Op 61 No 9
- Rachmaninov: Before my window, 15 songs Op 26 No 10
- Rachmaninov: Sorrow in Springtime, 12 Songs Op 21 No 12
- Musto: Litany, Shadow of the blues