Weddington, Nuneaton: Voluntary Aided Hospital
Weddington Hall was an Elizabethan building in Nuneaton. It was vacant at the beginning of World War One when local businessman and Griff Colliery manager, Edward Melly, turned it into a Red Cross hospital for wounded soldiers. It was one of 3,000 voluntary aided hospitals in the UK.
Many of the wards were funded by local businesses; Griff, Arley, Hall and Phillips, Birch Coppice, Haunchwood and Stanleys. The hospital was staffed by 95 voluntary aided nurses, local women and girls from Nuneaton and Hartshill.
Weddington Hall was only in use during WW1. It was pulled down in 1928 to make way for a new housing estate. All that is left is a large green patch of grass which was once the footprint of the hall.
Location: Weddington, Nuneaton CV10 0EP
Image: Nurses at Weddington Hall, courtesy of John Brooke and Peter Lee