Calderstones Hospital, Lancashire: Queen Mary’s Military Hospital
Thousands of wounded soldiers from all over the country were sent to Lancashire’s Ribble Valley during the war. They were being treated at what is now the home of the Calderstones Partnership NHS Foundation Trust at Whalley. During World War One, it was the Queen Mary’s Military Hospital.
The hospital even had its own railway siding which was used to bring the injured troops almost directly to the doors of the wards. Many of the men had come straight from the front with uniforms still covered in mud.
The military hospital was in use until the middle of 1920. A commemoration plaque at the site states that during that time “56,800 disabled soldiers were treated in it for wounds and sickness”.
Today, not far from the main building, you can still see the Commonwealth War Graves cemetery where soldiers who failed to recover from their wounds, rest.
Location: Calderstones Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Mitton Road, Whalley, Clitheroe BB7 9PE
Available since: Wed 30 Jul 2014
This clip is from
WW1 at Home: a growing collection of stories about life on the WW1 Home Front
More clips from World War One At Home
- Barry Town Hall, Kings Square: Childhood Memories Of The Great War Duration: 03:47
- Barry Docks: The U-Boats Mission to Starve Britain Duration: 04:07
- Monmouth Boys School: Angus Buchanan the Blind VC Duration: 03:17
- Caernarfon Prison, North Wales: Jailed for Refusing to Kill Duration: 03:08
- Ardeer, Scotland: The Nobel Dynamite Factory Duration: 04:49