“When you approach making a decision on a war it’s not just one decision” - Jonathan Powell
Jonathan Powell on the red lines and political decision making in the lead up to war.
A clip from a special Free Thinking programme: Balancing Power in World War I and Now.
Available since: Thu 26 Jun 2014
This clip is from
Anne McElvoy, Margaret MacMillan and Jonathan Powell explore the Great Powers in WWI.
First broadcast: 26 Jun 2014
More clips from Free Thinking
- "I think all writing is celebratory and all writing is erotic.." Duration: 00:41 Martin Amis in Conversation at the BBC Proms
- Figuring out Abstract Art recorded at Tate Modern on 11th Sep, to be broadcast on Radio 3 on 18th Sep Duration: 09:15 Figuring out Abstract Art
- 'There's always this possibility of falling off the edge' - Kenyan author Billy Kahora Duration: 04:18 Kenyan Authors Ngugi wa Thiong'o and Billy Kahora
- “I educated myself through books” - Nobel laureate Nadine Gordimer Duration: 02:54 Animals and Anthropomorphism, Nadine Gordimer Tribute, Prison
- New Generation Thinker 2014: Alun Withey looks back at medical history Duration: 05:16 Virginia Woolf Portraits, Richard Flanagan, Medical History, The Security Services in Fiction