Fung Lam: Unlocking
Charles Hazlewood is joined by the BBC Concert Orchestra and composer Fung Lam to explore his new work, Unlocking. Through conversation and diary entries which Fung recorded during the compositional process, they trace how this work was written from its conception through to the final version of the piece.
Fung was commisioned by the BBC to write a piece for the programme, the first of a series of three works specially commissioned from contemporary composers. Taking inspiration from the exhibition of padlocks at the Victoria and Albert Museum, Fung's piece explores ideas of codes, secrets and locks.
The programme also looks at an education project which composer and animateur, Fraser Trainer has been running alongside the composition of Fung's new piece, a project which also took this exhibition as a starting point.
Available since: Mon 2 Jun 2014
- Fung Lam
More clips from 11/01/2009
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 Duration: 49:55 Sibelius's Fifth Symphony
- Arvo Part Choral Music Duration: 36:10 Arvo Pärt Choral Music
- John Adams: The Wound Dresser Duration: 31:01 John Adams: The Wound Dresser & Shaker Loops