Corelli: Opus 6 Concertos
Stephen Johnson unpicks the ideas and background behind Corelli's ground breaking set of Opus 6 Violin Concertos which includes the celebrated "Christmas Concerto".
He joins the European Union Baroque Orchestra directed from the violin by Enrico Onofri, and violinist Margaret Faultless. Here they explore how some of the artistic innovations of late 17th Century Rome focused the mind of a young violin virtuoso, Arcangelo Corelli, and prompted him to create what became the foundation of the influential and ubiquitous late baroque concerto.
Stephen focuses on three concertos from the Opus 6 set of 12: Numbers 4, 8 and 12, which includes the famous Christmas Concerto.
The programme was recorded as part of the 2010 Lufthansa Festival of Baroque Music.
Available since: Fri 30 May 2014
- Arcangelo Corelli
More clips from Corelli's Opus 6 Concertos
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 49:26 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' Duration: 43:22 Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 41:43 Debussy's La mer
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos