The Art of Jazz Improvisation
Pianist and broadcaster Julian Joseph presents the programme from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama as part of the 2008 London Jazz Festival.
Performing alongside his own Trio, singer Cleveland Watkiss and the Guildhall Big Band, Julian provides a unique insight into the art of improvisation, using excerpts from jazz standards as well as from his own music, including performances of The Reverend and Mountain of Hope.
Available since: Mon 26 May 2014
- Julian Joseph
What is a fugue? How do composers use rhythm and harmony? Find out more.
More clips from The Art of Jazz Improvisation
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 49:26 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' Duration: 43:22 Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 41:43 Debussy's La mer
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos